Main Job Duties
To have responsibility for the management and allocation of duties to care and support staff in the Home during the course of shift.
To co-ordinate, direct and supervise the duties of the Care Assistants, working alongside them to ensure the performance of informed, safe practices and efficiency, and to report to the Senior Nurse/ Deputy Matron/Manager any concerns.
To support the (Senior Nurse/ Home Manager) within the Home / Unit in providing leadership to the care team and effective 24hr management of the Home within the available resources. The post holder will have a key responsibility for the quality of nursing assessment, care planning, implementation and evaluation and associated care staff training issues to ensure that at all times residents receive an excellent standard of care.
Take responsibility for the safeguarding of adults, and follow Ascot Care’s safeguarding/whistle blowing policy as required.
· To lead a team of care staff that provides excellence in clinical practice, and ensures that residents’ rights to privacy, dignity, choice, autonomy and safety are actively promoted at all times.
· To understand the value of and promote a stimulating and enriching environment conducive to the well being of residents, for whom the Home/ Unit is their long term place of residence i.e. their home.
· To demonstrate effective communication skills with residents, their families and friends, being aware of opportunities for health education; providing information and advice where appropriate.
· To facilitate and engage in positive working relationships with GPs and the wider multidisciplinary team, including hospitals and local agencies, acting as the resident’s advocate where necessary to ensure the best outcomes.
· To ensure that accountability for and communication of residents care is maintained consistently throughout the 24 hour period of care.
· To undertake, in partnership with the resident where ever possible, the assessment of their care needs and develop resultant care plans, evaluating programmes of care as necessary and overseeing transfers of care, e.g. to hospital.
· To actively supervise and monitor care practices, identifying and responding appropriately to the changing needs of residents to ensure that care needs are consistently met.
· To undertake all appropriate aspects of nursing care required, including advanced clinical skills having gained the appropriate training and supervision.
· To undertake all care procedures and practices in accordance with Ascot policies and procedures.
· To be fully aware of all agreed emergency procedures and be prepared to take a lead role in any acute or non-clinical emergency, in the absence of more senior staff or until specialist assistance arrives.
Management / Education
· In the absence of a Senior Nurse or Home Manager, whilst on duty, to be responsible for the fabric and running of the Home, ensuring that there are sufficient staff to carry out all duties whilst ensuring the Home continues to provide a safe and secure environment for residents and staff alike, conducive to their general well being.
· To demonstrate effective time management and leadership skills and work closely with the Senior Nurse / Manager to develop own managerial skills.
· To ensure procedures are correctly followed and accurate contemporaneous records of care documented and communicated effectively amongst the Care Team at all times.
· To participate in the induction, mentor ship, teaching and supervision of Social Care staff and student nurses to the Home / Unit to enhance learning and improve outcomes.
· To liaise with the relevant departments and agencies e.g. Kitchen, Maintenance, Housekeeping, Activities, Head office, Pharmacy and Medical Equipment suppliers, ensuring that supplies are available and relevant to the needs of the Home / Unit and are used efficiently.
· To take responsibility for own professional development and act as an effective role model.
· To be aware of the NMC Code of Conduct and all Ascot Policies & Procedures and adhere to them at all times.
· Ensure that NMC Registration is current.
· T o ensure that all medications, including controlled drugs are ordered, stored, administered and disposed of in accordance with the Ascot Medicines Policy, NMC and CQC guidance on drug administration
· To discuss current performance and future development needs with Senior Nurse / Home Manager as part of the appraisal system.
· To keep up to date with relevant research and developments in practice, attending relevant study days / courses as identified through the appraisal process or as part of mandatory training.
· T o maintain a professional portfolio